Govt. of NCT DELHI

Delhihomeo.com

Search the Site  :
Development of Homoeopathy in Delhi

        Late Dr. Madhab Chand Banerjee, L.M.S. was perhaps the first regular homeopathic practitioner in Delhi. He started his practice in 1909 and became popular. In 1920 Rai Sahib Dr. Daya Shanker Kayastha who had obtained his M.D. Degree from Michigan in U.S.A. got converted to Homoeopathy and taught homoeopathy to a number of officials of Govt. of India by holding regular classes at Central Secretariat, and later at his own clinic in Chandni chowk. Contemporarily Dr. Yudhvir Singh was also practicing homoeopathy at Chandni Chowk, Delhi. He started a free homoeopathic dispensary with the help of Mir Mohd. Hussain Sahib, Municipal Commissioner, in 1928. Following the partition of India, a number of homoeopathic practitioners from the Punjab came and settled in Delhi. Among them the late Dr. Diwan Jai Chand and the late Dr. V.D. Kashyap, both converts from Allopathy soon became distinguished in their work and gave a fillip to Homoeopathy in Delhi. Among the past stalwarts of Homoeopathy in Delhi are the late doctors Rup Narain, Rajinder Kumar, P.S. Sehga, Bishamber Das and P.N. Bhatnagar. Thereafter a large number of practitioners set up their private practice and a number of free dispensaries were opened, some of them were aided by the Delhi Municipal Committee and Delhi District Board.

       Legislation and Government help. The Delhi Homoeopathic Act was passed in 1956 and came into force on 1.10.1956 through the good offices of Dr. Yudhvir Singh, who was the then Health Minister of the short-lived Legislative Assembly in Delhi in those days. Under the Act, a Board of Homoeoapthic System of Medicine, Delhi was established in November 1961. Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital was affiliated to the Board and the Board awarded the Diploma qualification after completion of 4 years course. With a view to prepare the cadre of teachers/examiners etc., the Board had conducted a Diploma Examination allowing private candidates to take the final examination for the first three years beginning from 1965. A large number of private practitioners from all over India and one from Sri Lanka availed this opportunity and they were awarded D.H. S. Diploma. 60 to 70 free and charitable dispensaries were functioning in Delhi during the year 1977 - 78 of which some of them were started by the Delhi Corporation and the New Delhi Municipal Committee, in addition to the dispensaries run under the Central Govt. Health Scheme for the benefit of Central Govt. Servants. Of these, Dr. Yudhvir Singh Homoeopathic Charitable Trust managed the largest number of dispensaries from the funds of Charitable Trusts, particularly, of the Jain Community and a few were receiving grant in aid from the Delhi Corporation and the Delhi Administration.

       
Twenty-eight homoeopathic dispensaries were opened in 1978. Delhi was a union territory till 1993, with the formation of the Delhi State in 1993 though with limited constitutional powers, the responsibility of delivery of adequate health care was one of major responsibilities. Government of Delhi had constituted a "Homoeopathic Advisory Committee" under the chairmanship of Dr. K. G. Saxena in 1994 for the development and expansion of Homoeopathy in Delhi. Govt. of Delhi had designed various Plan Schemes for the development and expansion of Homoeopathy and the initiative taken in the past few years was commendable. Directorate of Indian System of Medicine and Homoeopathy was established in Delhi on 1st August 1996 with a separate wing of Homoeopathy in the premises of Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital. Since then this Directorate has accomplished a lot for expansion of Homoeopathy in Delhi. The present infrastructure of Homoeopathy comprises of two homoeopathic colleges Nehru Homoeopathic Medical College & Hospital and Dr. B. R. Sur Homoeopathic Medical College and Hospital), Homoeopathic Dispensaries, a research and development Centre (Dilli Homoeopathic Anusandhan Parishad) and a Statutory Body (Board of Homoeopathic System of Medicine). Govt. of Delhi has also started 39 new homoeopathic dispensaries and now there are 67 homoeopathic dispensaries on list. The statue of founder of homoeopathy, Dr. C. F. Samuel Hahnemann was installed at A-Block Park, near Gummad, Defence Colony, New Delhi on 10th April 1998 on birth anniversary for giving due recognition to the Founder of Homoeopathy and motivating the public to use homoeopathy.



« Home » Feedback » About Homeopathy » Origin & Growth of Homeopathy  »  Development of Homeopathy » Education  »
« Patient Care » « Research and Development » Statutory Body »  Statutory Body »
 « Advisory Committee « Clinical Studies and Publication » Messages  »


All contents Copyright 2000, Dilli Homoeopathic Anusandhan Parishad, All Rights Reserved.


Developed and Hosted by WeblinkIndia.NET 

WeblinkIndia.NET